Monday 18 June 2018

Arriving for a videoswallow, and finding it already finished – by who?

27 April 2018

One of the most prevalent conditions we as Speech Therapists work with, is dysphagia. Well, that is adult neuro-therapists. Coming out of varsity, I was ignorant to the astoundingly high occurrence and demand for swallowing therapy in patients. We were taught about dysphagia, and what it is, some of the techniques that can be used to treat it, and how to assess for swallowing difficulties, but I doubt that we spent more than 5 hours of class learning about it. This is shocking, considering the high incidence of this condition in the real world.

Diagnosing dysphagia has many components that need to be considered, and not all that can be clinically assessed during a bedside evaluation. To give you an idea, I’ll start with the anatomy. When you put food into your mouth, it enters the oral cavity, and is masticated (chewed) and prepared for the swallow by the tongue. This bolus is propelled backwards by the tongue, into the pharynx (throat). Now just below the base of your tongue, you get what we call the valeculi, which is like a little pouch, and the epiglottis, which is a “flap” that drops down to close off your airway when you swallow. Your airway (trachea) sits in front – so when you touch your throat, that bony part that you are touching is your airway. Behind that, between your airway and your spine, sits your esophagus, which carries the food down to your stomach.


  
Often when patients swallow, they cough, which is an indication that some of the food goes into the lungs, which is dangerous. An assessment that we often do to clinically assess whether this aspiration occurs, is called a modified barium swallow study (videoswallow). Doctors are not trained to assess for this, or interpret a swallow study for that matter, so they refer to us to diagnose these patients. Now, you get two types of swallow studies: a barium swallow, which is mainly focused on the movement of the food down the esophagus and into the stomach, to test for reflux. Then you get a videoswallow, which is what we do, and this focuses on the throat and entrance to the lungs, so that we can test the functionality of a swallow, and determine whether patients are able to swallow safely or not.

Here’s a quick swallowing 101 lesson: For a normal and safe swallow to occur, there should be good oral control, tongue movement, bolus propulsion backwards, and there should be no residue on the tongue or anywhere in the throat. Sometimes, some of the food remains in the pharynx, and gets caught in the valleculi and pyriform sinuses, which may eventually overflow into the airway and result in aspiration. This can often be cleared using manoeuvres on how to position your head during swallowing, and other techniques that may help clear the food from these structures. If the food does not clear, it is considered a high risk for aspiration, and the patient is not safe for oral feeding.

So I had a patient who was referred to me following a rather large stroke. I assessed his swallowing, and although he didn’t display any clinical signs of aspiration (such as coughing, throat clearing, wet voice, watering eyes or delayed coughing), my gut instinct told me that this patient is aspirating. So I took him for a videoswallow, and I was right. My patient was aspirating severely on all three consistencies of food (thin fluids, puree such as yoghurt, and solids – a cookie). Not only was he aspirating severely, but the aspiration was silent, which means that the coughing reflex – our airway’s protective mechanism - is not present and there is no clinical sign of aspiration. My recommendation was to have a PEG tube inserted, and that we would commence swallowing therapy in an attempt to rehabilitate his swallow.

Once a month, for three months, I took my patient to X-Rays to repeat the videoswallow to monitor for improvement of his swallowing, and hopefully to slowly get him back onto an oral diet. The risk for aspiration remained high, and I did not feel comfortable allowing my patient any oral intake. So we continued religiously doing the swallowing exercises, and feeding him via the PEG tube. So come month 3, my patient comes back to X-Rays for his follow-up videoswallow. As I walk into radiology, my patient is not there, so I set up and prepare the room, only to get a phone-call from his wife. “Hello Lauren, I am sitting with the report in my hand, and it says that he may eat. Does this mean that the feeding tube can come out?”. Imagine my horror at hearing this result, when I have yet to lay eyes on my patient. Considering his history, I highly doubted that he is able to swallow safely. So I calmly asked them to please return so that I can confirm these results myself.

In the mean time, I flew into the radiologist’s offices, trying very hard to put a smile on my face, demanding to know who performed my videoswallow and what EXACTLY they saw. One very friendly, very flirty and very young doctor was very eager to tell me that he even gave my patient a marshmallow (because yes this definitely replicates the consistency of your meat, hey?) and he was able to swallow it safely. Red in the face, eyes blazing, heart racing, and breathing very heavily, I slapped a smile on my face and asked him to please assist me in repeating the study so that I can confirm the results personally.

My patient arrives, and we proceed into the screening room. I invite his wife in too, so that she can also see the results of the swallow. I give my patient a sip of water… severe pooling in the valleculi, with failure to clear using any of our manoeuvres. This swallow has not started on a good note. Am I now supposed to break his newly heightened spirits by telling him he may not really swallow? Perhaps the other consistencies will get better.
I give him a spoon full of yoghurt, and my heart drops a little more. The pooling in the valleculi hasn’t improved at all, and in fact the yoghurt was completely lining the entrance to the airway. Damn! I don’t even feel safe to give him a cookie - this result is not good at all, but my patient has been told that he may eat, and he is so happy about it, so I ignore the blaring red lights, I dip my cookie in the yoghurt for the contrast to show up, and I ask my patient to chew it and swallow when he is ready. I give him a sip of water hoping that it will wash the residue out of the valleculi and clear the pharynx, maybe this will give me a safe option to send him home with.

I think I stood starring at that screen for at least a minute, trying to figure out how I can gently drag his spirits through the mud. I turn around slowly to look at him, and watch as his face turns from excitement and joy into disappointment and sadness. What did he see on my face? Sadness? Disappointment? Horror? Fear? All the emotions I was feeling. So I slowly start explaining the structures to them, and I replay the video to show them what happened to the bolus, where it lodged in the pharynx, and how I tried to clear it using every possible technique.

Here’s what I saw (please excuse the quality, this was taken off a screen)… The first photo is a clear pharynx before any boluses were presented. The second photo is following the cookie, which you will see is the dark stuff in the throat. (1) tongue, (2) valleculi, (3) epiglottis, (4) entrance to the airway, (5) esophagus.

   


My advice to this patient was to only start taking in small bites of food with a puree consistency, and to take a sip of water after each bite. I was not at all happy to send him home like this, but to now take the new privilege of eating away – I just couldn’t.

A month later we repeated the videoswallow, and it looked somewhat better, but still not great. I had learned though, that my patient had decided to start eating normally again, against my recommendation, and was “doing well”. His PEG tube had now become a nuisance and was getting infected. So, against my recommendation that this was not safe, they went to their doctor, who removed the PEG tube, and he has been eating orally since.

Sometimes as Speech Therapists we have to play the bad guy, and refuse to allow the small, pleasurable things in life, such as eating and drinking. It sucks, but it is really in the best interest of the patient. It is not easy to watch a patient’s hopes falter and die down, and try and encourage them in therapy when they are so despondent that they refuse to even look at you. These are the moments in your day that drain you of emotional energy, and wipe that smile off your face. I often walk around with just that, a face that I put on for the sake of my patients. But hey, if it means that I know my patients will be safe, and I will not be the cause of them developing a serious illness, I am happy to play the bad guy.

Until next time…

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment