Friday 22 February 2019

My first ever blue-dye test




 15 May 2018


Growing up, I was that little 5 year old girl who used to catch bugs in a little transparent jar, and examine them through a magnifying glass. It excited me to discover new animals and organisms, and examine them, play with them… make new friends. As I grew older, and learned that this was not the norm, that these things could potentially be harmful or gory, and I became cautious of these things – afraid of bugs, disgusted by touching unusual fluids and objects, and scared of blood. I became the normal teenage girl who squeals and screeches when touching strange textures or when bugs come too close.

As a Speech Therapist, we see all kinds of things. Working in a hospital exposes you to things not many people would ever imagine –bodily fluids, bad breath, infected wounds, dirty people, exposed genitalia, burst catheter bags, to name a few. One thing is for sure, I take my hat off to the nurses.

On this particular day, I had a patient who was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, had a tracheostomy tube in situ, and was dependent on a ventilator to breathe. Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease in which a weakening of the skeletal muscles responsible for breathing and movement occurs. Essentially, an overall weakness occurs, making breathing, moving and even blinking or opening your eyes difficult. The result of this weakness often leads doctors to insert a tracheostomy tube (see the image below) – a tube inserted into the lower soft part of the throat, that helps keep the airway open and allows for easier breathing. This patient was dependent on a ventilator because he was unable to breathe on his own.



   


This patient was referred to Speech Therapy to do a swallowing evaluation on him – is he allowed to eat orally? He had a naso-gatric (NG) tube in place through which they were feeding him. This is a tube that is placed through the nose, down into the stomach.


 

Generally, when we do swallowing evaluations, we start with a bedside evaluation and end with a videoswallow at X-Rays. A bedside evaluation here was our only option, as this patient was on a ventilator and we could not transport him to x-rays. Often patients who have tracheostomy tubes in place have a decreased sensation in the airway, so the natural cough reflex when something enters your airway might not be there. This makes a bedside evaluation not as reliable as a videoswallow. In these cases, we do what we call a blue-dye test. Blue is the only colour not excreted by the body, so we take blue food colouring and mix it into water and sometimes yoghurt, making it a hideous bubble gum-blue colour. The patient drinks 3 sips of blue water, and we then suction their lungs through the trache to see whether any of the secretions are blue, in which case we know that they have aspirated.

I am the type of person who I think you could term as physically, physiologically and emotionally sympathetic. I can physically feel what other people must be going through, and I get similar sensations to what people describe they are experiencing. Now because I had never done a blue-due test before, my boss had come along to the swallowing evaluation to teach me how to do the test. This patient was in isolation for an infectious virus, so we dressed up in the appropriate attire – gown, mask, head cap, gloves, shoe protectors, and in we went. My boss explained the procedure to the patient, and began the study. He took the sips of water, and they waited a couple of seconds. When that suction pipe went into his airway, he started coughing. Imagine having something shoved into your airway and kept there, you are unable to get it out by coughing, so you cough to the point where you gag from the sensation.

The look on this man’s face whilst they were suctioning… his face went instantly red, agony painted like a canvas in his expression, and coughing, coughing, coughing. Coughing until he gagged, in which case vomit had come up through his NG tube. It was then that I could no longer watch. I could feel what he was going through… the pipe being forced into my lungs, being unable to get it out. Tears streaming down my face purely from the sensation which I wasn’t really experiencing, I stepped outside. This was where my boss found me after the swallowing assessment  – standing flat against the wall, head tilted back breathing deeply, mask in hand having torn it off my face, and my gown (which was resting just a little too tightly against my throat) half torn off my body.

Being a Speech Therapist, it is a part of my duty to perform this test, as no one else is able to do this. I have since taught myself to zoom in on the suctioning pipe and focus on finding that speck of blue, instead of allowing all other environmental stimulation to register in my brain… The patient choking, slime coming out of the suction pipe, agony across the patient’s face, or any other sounds that might cause an unfavorable reaction on my part. I can proudly say that I have successfully mastered the ability to independently perform a blue-dye test.

So you learn to desensitize yourself to experiences which may not be most pleasant. A very specialized skill to have I’d say…


Later 😊

Xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment